Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Small Can Be Big

Mission Statement: "...to address a developing homeless crisis in Massachusetts."

Website: http://www.smallcanbebig.org/

My donation: $5

Small can be big is an amazing Organization. The premise is that small local donations for a family on the edge of financial disaster can make a huge difference over the long run. Too bad the organization is based across the country from me. But still, I love the site set up - as a donor, you get to choose what type of need you want your contribution to support: fending off eviction, escaping domestic violence, struggling with unemployment, etc. For each unique cause there are several families who need a helping hand, and a brief description of the circumstances they face.

For example:

I selected "fending off eviction" (based on my recently developed soft spot for homelessness.) My donation went to a widowed mother of 6 struggling scrape together $1,300 to pay her rent for the next month, and prevent her grieving family from eviction. This family lost their father in an unexpected accident last year, and are now struggling to make ends meet. The kids range in age from 3 - 16. After reading their story, I only wish I could give more.

What I love most about this site is the personal stories and the ability to direct your donation to whichever cause you choose.

Go check it out - these stories will tug at your heartstrings, and since donations as small as $1 are accepted, hopefully you'll be able to help in a small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment