Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Care2

Mission Statement: Make it easy for everyone to live a healthy, green lifestyle and impact the causes they care about most.

Website: http://www.care2.com/

My donation: Free!

The “click to donate” section of the website was a little tough to find http://www.care2.com/take-action/ (made even MORE difficult since the folks at Glamour had incorrectly listed the url, but whatevs…) but once I started clicking, I realized just how EASY this one was.

As I was clicking away, I began to wonder how my click was generating funding for the various charities. I think I must be part engineer (thanks Dad!) because I am always curious about how things work. Or maybe it’s all that good business school training…

So, how is it that by my clicking on an icon, I help cure breast cancer? Someone break it down for me, please?

I spent the better part of an hour browsing the website, and the best I could come up with was that their advertisers sponsor the website and somehow, the more times people click on the icons the more the advertisers contribute to the various charities. Huh.

I wish I had better things to say about this site, because I really believe the Organization is trying to do (A LOT) of good things. Unfortunately, that old saying, “you can’t be everything to everyone” really comes to mind. The site lacks focus, which wouldn’t be so bad…except that the vast expanse of coverage the Organization is clearly trying to achieve comes at the expense of the website’s functionality. Trust me, it was a nightmare to navigate.

But, would I spend the 15 seconds a day to do click a few of the links? Yeah, it doesn’t get much easier than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment