Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Share Our Strength (and have a holiday party!)

Mission Statement: "Share Our Strength is a National Organization that works hard to make sure no kid in America grows up hungry."

Website: http://www.strength.org/

My donation: $5


Redemption! Today's charitable activity is awesome. Share Our Strength is a fantastic organization, working to solve a problem that I have recently become much more concerned with - childhood hunger in America.

As I mentioned last week, Jeannette Walls' The Glass Castle focuses extensively on the problems of childhood hunger in certain parts of the U.S. I was saddened to read how in middle school, Walls was so humiliated that her families poverty precluded her from bringing a lunch to school, that she spent the majority of her days sitting in the girl's bathroom, waiting for someone to throw a half-eaten sandwich or unwanted piece of fruit in the trash, so she could scavenge herself a meal.

(images courtesy of Share Our Strength)

[Ordinarily, this is the part of the post where I'd start telling you about all the great work the Organization is doing. Lucky for me, Share Our Strength has their very own blog, which saves me from writing all about it.]

And now the best part of today's challenge - the dinner party! We're hosting a holiday potluck (which is really more of a holiday wine & cheese & cookie party, but whatever) for a group of our friends tonight. The idea here being, the money we save on going out would be contributed to Share Our Strength.

Last night, I got my festive (Taylor Swift) Christmas music on, busted out the mixer, and whipped up some awesome holiday cookies, including...these homemade oreos.

While Deb's photos are hands down lovelier than mine (see evidence below) mine still taste AWESOME. (And I should know, seeing as I may or may not have eaten 3 of these for lunch today...thank goodness for long runs.)

Mine (What they lack in looks they more than make up for in taste)

Deb's (image via Smitten Kitchen)

No comments:

Post a Comment