Sunday, December 13, 2009

Doctors Without Borders

Mission Statement: ...provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict...irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.

Website: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

My Donation: $5

Founded in 1971, Doctors Without Borders (or "Medicins Sans Frontieres", "MSF") provides aid to people in 60 countries. MSF primarily helps people who are affected by armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, lack of health care or natural disasters.

In 1999, MSF received the Nobel Peace Prize. Pretty cool.

One thing I have always respected about MSF is the fact that the bulk of the volunteer work is done by ordinary medical professional's who donate their time to serve the underserved for a period of time. To me, MSF has always been the Organization that epitomizes that the regular Joe can do something to make a difference.

So, I was happy to make my contribution to MSF today.

In other news, in case anyone out there is keeping track, I skipped a day. I'm not proud. But yesterday was SUPER busy. And, when I sat down tonight to start researching the Organization (goodgifts.org) I just wasn't feeling it. Again, not enough information about the charity for my taste. Plus, I was $5 above budget from Wednesday's donation to Save the Children (who wouldn't accept a donation of anything less than $10) so I chose to skip a day and get back on budget.

Oh well.

Hope you enjoyed your weekends - I need another day to recover from mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment