Friday, August 21, 2009

Baja who?

I was hungry today (like I am most days.) But today was a particularly bad day to be hungry, at least in my kitchen. Correction, in my empty kitchen. (What with all the travelling going on in our household these days, it really hasn't made sense to grocery shop, and, I missed this week's farmer's market...)

I contemplated going out - but what was I in the mood for? Nothing sounded tempting, and really, why waste the money? I have a pantry stocked with staples, surely, SURELY, I resolved, I could cobble something together.

So I took inventory and threw together these:

Homemade whole wheat tortillas

Suprisingly easy, I would bet any one with a kitchen probably has all the ingredients you need to whip a couple up right now:

1/4 C 100% whole wheat flour
1/8 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1 t olive oil (scant)
1 T warm water

Combine dry ingredients, mix in olive oil, slowly add water until dough forms a ball. Knead thoroughly. Let dough rest 15 minutes. Divide into two small balls, roll out on a floured surface until paper thin. Cook in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, 30 seconds each side, until slightly puffy.

I topped mine with this for a variation on huevos rancheros (minus the salsa - sadly, I had no tomatoes on hand):

Nutrition Facts per 2 tortillas: Calories:142, Fat:5g, Protein:4g, Carbohydrate:22g, Fiber:3.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment