Thursday, April 14, 2011

Carrot cake bites

A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon this awesome recipe on Angela's blog.


Being the sucker for all things 101 Cookbooks, and actually having all the ingredients for one recipe on hand, I decided to go ahead and whip up a batch of these awesome carrot cake bites:


I just made a second batch last night (with a couple modifications) and A thinks these turned out even better than the 1st batch (I disagree...so go try them both ways for yourself, and see what you think!)


Carrot cake bites: (Inspired by 101 Cookbooks, Oh She Glows)

1/2 cup buckwheat flour (I made this by grinding untoasted buckwheat groats in my VitaMix.)


1/4 cup multigrain cereal (TJ's brand)

1/4 cup shredded coconut (I used partially de-fatted)

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ginger (dried)


1/4 cup walnuts

1/4 cup raisins (soaked in HOT water for about 1/2 hour <--This is KEY. Do NOT skip!)

1/2 cup carrots


1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)

2 tbsp coconut oil

3 tbsp almond milk

1 tsp vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl



3. Stir in fruit and nuts



4. Combine wet ingredients in measuring cup (a la Mama Pea - I love this method, do it all the time!)


5. Add wet to dry and mix to combine. Per Angela's recipe, the dough should be pretty wet. I needed to add more Almond milk to my mixture to acheive that consistency, but I think it is the key to a softer, crumblier cookie

6. Drop by the tbsp onto a silpat (or parchment) covered cookie sheet



7. Bake for 15 minutes at 350, let cool on cookie sheet another 10 minutes

So - what do you think? Do you like the orignial version better? Or my modification?

2 comments:

  1. Carrot cake bites--what a great idea! :o)


    -Samantha

    http://thisfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I just made carrot cake muffins yesterday but I wouldn't think to use coconut... now I may need to make more!

    ReplyDelete