Monday, August 24, 2009

Resolutions - Week 4

Blogging from Chicago this week - my second round of travels.

I did went pretty well with last week's resolutions. My new running shoes were a great motivation to run every day, I managed to get plenty of sleep, all of which no doubt contributed greatly to my ability to get and stay organized.

This week, I'm staying at one of those places, you know the kind - where every meal is an all-you-can-eat affair, complete with dessert bar. Yes, even at breakfast. It's disgusting, really. I'm also stuck in a conference room with about thirty 23-24 year-olds, on my feet teaching from 8:00 to 6:30 each day, which leaves very little time and even less energy for evening runs. Oh - and did I mention the alcohol? Yeah, there is A LOT of drinking going on here. Recipe for disaster? Anyone?
Here are my resolutions for the week:

1. Run every morning
2. Drink slowly
3. No sweets

Now, I know that the concept of "no sweets" sounds a bit extreme, but I am just not one of those people who can eat two bites of a dessert and leave it at that. The only way I stand a chance in the war against the dessert buffet is to concede defeat before I even step foot in the dining room and just stay far, far away.


As far as drinking slowly - owing, most likely to my German heritage, I am what you could call a "gulper". I drink fast. Really really fast. While in college, this was a very cool talent, as a semi-responsible adult, this is quickly proving to be one of my downfalls. So, in an effort of compromise, I am going to limit myself to 1-2 drinks, and see just how slowly I can drag out drinking them.


Hopefully this will prove to be a skill I can master - because once all this travelling comes to an end, and I'm back to footing my own bar tabs, I have a feeling my wallet will thank me!

No comments:

Post a Comment