Wednesday, March 31, 2010

no joke

Today is the first day of my new job. No, seriously. How cruel is that?

When I got my offer letter, I didn't really think much about the April 1 start date. But for the past couple months, as this day has been creeping ever closer, I can't help but panic - what if I wake up on the 1st, and ha ha, just kidding - I'm stuck in the old job?

Thankfully, the new job is for real.

For the past 8 years, I've been working for a public accounting firm about 3 miles away from our home. This was my first job out of college, and I have had so many wonderful experiences in this job. I learned more, and faster than I would have in any other job, or with any other firm for that matter. I got to travel the world, working for clients in New York, Phoenix, San Diego, heck, I even lived in Melbourne, Australia for 4 months.

But, for 8 years, my career was my LIFE. And with an impending wedding and a family (hopefully) somewhere off in the not-so-distant future, it began to feel like it was time for a change.

Fortunately, I have a brilliant boss who recognized a need for my talents (but in a different capacity) within our firm. Which means that even so today I start a new job, I am staying with the same firm. I am so thankful, because this firm has really become an extension of my family over the past 8 years.

The old job was go-go-go all the time, serving clients who want what they want, when they want it (which is usually NOW!!! or, 20 minutes ago, even on Saturday afternoons, or Sunday nights...) The old job was competitive - who can bill the most hours? I can work later than you can! Sound awful?

The new job (I think) is none of those things.
Today, I transferred to our National office (um, which just so happens to be in New York...) and I will primarily be working on firm-wide training. For the lay-person, that basically means I am no longer a slave to my clients, and will be spending the majority of my time teaching people how to do what I did for the past 8 years, designing training materials, and improving our firm training programs.

Am I excited? Let's just say, if I was still 10, I'd have made one of those paper-chains to count down the days.

I can't wait for the new job, the new opportunity, and the chance to get more involved in something I feel so passionate about - teaching accounting!

PS - no, we are not moving to New York. I'll be working from home! And, the new job came with a rockin' promotion. I am on top of the world right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment